Apr 5, 2017

Why do I Exist?

Why am I here? Did you ever think deeply about that? The words themselves aren’t difficult. On the face of it the phrase simply means, of all the places I could be, what things transpired to cause me to end up here rather than somewhere else? What decisions did I make throughout my life that resulted in the path I walked from my childhood until now?

The aforementioned are all great questions which could lead to a wonderful discussion and might be fodder for later posts, but that isn’t the direction I wanted to go with today’s edition. I guess what I really mean is, why do I exist? What is my purpose, if any?

In college, I took and introduction to philosophy course. I don’t remember much from the class except that the professor, Dr. John Hall (no relation), had a phenomenal vocabulary and required that any philosophical argument must begin with a definition of the words used. So, Dr. Hall, in deference to you let me begin there.

I will assume that the words why, do, and I are universally understood and that we all mean the same thing when we use them. But the word “exist” is different. I think I know what it means until I try to explain it. For example, I might say, “to exist means to be present in the real world”. So, I could hug my wife and in a moment of passionate inspiration exclaim, “I’m totally astounded that someone as perfect as you could exist!” Now that might put some chips in the love bank, but does it make sense in light of my definition of exist?


  • OK, so the average mass of a man in the United States is 87kg
  • A realistic estimate of the number of atoms in the human body is 7x10^27 (7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). 
  • The average volume of this average man is about the same number as his mass, 87 liters or 3 cubic feet. 
  • Now, how much of that 87 liters contains the actual material of which the man is made? Well, most of the volume of an atom is empty space – space that contains nothing! In fact, an atom is about 99.9999999999996%empty space
  • This means the volume of space containing the stuff that man is made of amounts to nearly .000000348 cubic millimeters or 348 cubic micrometers. Wow!! A human being doesn’t take up much space at all!

Hey, that was fun but where did it get us? Let’s now consider what these tiny atoms are made of.
This reminds me of that old rhyme:

What are little boys made of?
What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails
And puppy-dogs' tails
That's what little boys are made of

What are little girls made of?
What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice
And all things nice
That's what little girls are made of



What are little atoms made of?  To the best of our knowledge today, atoms are made of electrons, protons and neutrons. Protons and neutrons are made of up-quarks, down-quarks, and gluons. Electrons, quarks, and gluons (as well as some other particles) are considered by most experts to be elementary particles (particles that can't be broken into anything smaller). According to quantum theory, elementary particles can be considered as little tiny vibrating“strings”. And strings are tiny chunks of vibrating energy that are continually jumping in and out of existence. You might say they exist and don’t exist at the same time.

Ahh….since that man is made of gazillions of tiny strings that sometimes exist and sometimes don’t, he must be both here and not here at the same time! Some quantum physicists say that the act of observing a particle causes it to exist. I guess that means there must be some Observer paying attention to the man to cause him to exist! Now, Who could that be?

I guess the answer to the question “Why do I exist?” is simply this. I exist because I am being observed by some Entity. That Entity is interested in me. Might that Entity also observe a purpose for me? Might we give that Entity another title? Might we call that Entity God?


No comments:

Post a Comment